· 40 years of involvement in commercial graphics & fine arts. Practical understanding of printing processes, including lithography, offset, photogravure, rotogravure, serigraphy, woodcut, linocut and digital printing.
· Coordinated & facilitated print and graphics projects for top ad agencies, graphic design companies and major corporations.
· Exhibited artwork in New York, New Orleans, SF Bay Area and Hawaii.
· Artist/owner Studio Jomac in Kailua, Kona
WORK AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE:
2003 – 2015 Artist/Owner, Studio Jomac Kailua-Kona, HI
2003 – 2015 Owner/Operator, Kona Sugar Shack, Tiki Condo & Coconut Condo Kailua-Kona & Honolulu, HI
1986 – 2003 President/Founder, Jomac Graphic Communications Inc. Alameda, CA
1984 – 1986 Sales Manager, Bel Aire Displays Emeryville, CA
1983 – 1984 Account Executive, Identity Services Penngrove, CA
1981 – 1983 Account Executive, Foster & Kleiser Outdoor Advertising Oakland, CA
1980 – 1981 Account Executive, Trend Graphics Mountain View, CA
1974 – 1980 Printer, Production Mgr., Account Executive, Outdoor Posters Inc Reno, NV
2018 "Imago Mundi, Contemporary Artists of Hawaii" publisher Bennetton, Lucano Bennetton Collection
2017 "Hokule'a, Malama Hokua" Woodcut Illustrations for cover & chapters, published by Patagonia and the Euclid Shop
SELECTED SOLO SHOWS:
2016 "Suicide Prints" Reductive Woodcut, Brue Bar, Honolulu, HI
2012 “Look Into My Eyes" Portraits in Paint & Print, Luana Gallery Kohala Coast, HI
2010 “Sun Salutation" A Celebration of Life, Luana Gallery Kohala Coast, HI
"Sun Salutation" preview, Peaberry & Galette Keauhou, HI
2009 “Impressions in Printmaking", ING Direct Honolulu, HI
"Impressions in Printmaking", Peaberry & Galette Keauhou, HI
2008 "Adaptations" Luana Gallery, Fairmont Orchid Kohala, HI
“Adaptations", Perrin Benham Gallery New Orleans, LA
2007 Paint & Print, Studio Jomac Kailua-Kona, HI
“Re-occurrence of Memory” Red Rock Gallery Reno, NV
“Re-occurrence of Memory” Spritzers Alameda, CA
“Re-occurrence of Memory” Peaberry & Galette Kailua-Kona HI
2003 “Stigmata” Spritzers Alameda, CA
2001 East Bay Open Studio, Studio Jomac Alameda, CA
SELECTED GROUP & JURIED SHOWS:
2017 39th "Commitment to Excellence", Japanese Chamber of Commerce. Honolulu, HI
"Graphically Observed" California Society of Printmakers Juried Exhibition 2017,
Isabelle Percy West Gallery at CCA, Oakland
Printmaking Now, National Competition, UVARTS, Portland, OR
September 30th National, the Alexandria Museum of Art, LA
Texas National 2017, Stephen F Austing Univ. Austin, TX
"Urban Collage & the Collage City" Feral Factory, Denver, CO
Hilton Head Art League 2017 Biennale, Hilton Head, SC
89th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art School
Brownsville Museum of Fine Art National Competition, Brownsville, TX
Truner 11th National Print Competition, Chico, CA
2016 From Block to Book, Maona Public Library, Honolulul, HI
"Build" National Juried Exhibition, Charlotte, N.C.
Neo:Printprize2016, International print competition, Bolton, England
California Society of Printmakers Annual Exhibition, Oakland, CA
88th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art SchoolHonolulu, HI "The MIll" purchased by Hawaii Foundation on Culture and Arts
"Enduring Wiliwili" Coffee and Tea Company, Kailua-Kona, HI
2015 “Enduring Wiliwili” Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel Kohala Coast, HI
“Enduring Wiliwili” Volcano Art Center Volcanoes National Park, HI
87th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art School Honolulu, HI
2014 Pacific Island Printmakers, Frog & Lotus Kailua-Kona, HI
“We’ve Got STYLE”, Living Arts Gallery Hawi, HI
86th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art School Honolulu, HI
2013 "Jigsaw" Honolulu Museum of Art School Honolulu, HI
“Jigsaw” Wailoa Art and Cultural Center, Hilo, HI
85th Honolulu Printmakers “Salon des Refuses” Ektopia Gallery Honolulu, HI
2012 "Lei of Diversity" 5th Annual Exhibition, Fairmont Orchid Kohala Coast, HI
Honu’ea, Volcano Art Center Volcanoes National Park, HI
84th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art School Honolulu, HI
(Award for Excellence in Printing)
2011 "Lei of Diversity" 4th Annual Exhibition, Fairmont Orchid Kohala Coast, HI
Holualoa Foundation for Art and Culture, Four Seasons Resort Kailua-Kona, HI
"Embracing Ohia" Volcano Art Center Volcanoes National Park, HI
83th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show, Museum of Art School Honolulu, HI
2010 "Lei of Diversity" Luana Gallery, Fairmont Orchid Kohala Coast HI
82nd Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show Honolulu, HI
Living Arts Gallery, Selected works, Hawi, Hawaii
2009 "Na Makana O Ke Au Hou" Luana Gallery, Fairmont Orchid Kohala Coast HI
“Memory of Water, East Hawaii Cultural Center Hilo, HI
Faculty Exhibition, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
81st Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show Honolulu, HI
Donkey Mill Art Center, 2009 Annual Art Auction Holualoa, HI
2008 "Na Makana O Ke Au Hou", Luana Gallery, Fairmont Orchid Kohala Coast HI
"Tropical Fusion", Horace Mann School Bronx, N.Y.
80th Annual Honolulu Printmakers Show Honolulu, HI "Prints 2008” Honolulu Printmakers Honolulu, HI
"East/West" East Hawaii Cultural Center Hilo, HI
"Abstract Only", Wailoa Art Center Hilo, HI
Spring Arts Festival Hilo HI
2007 "Visual Telephone" Monterey Peninsula College Monterey, CA
79th Annual Printmakers Show Honolulu HI
2003 Preview Exhibition, East Bay Open Studio, ProArts Gallery Oakland, CA
2001 "New Visions Introductions", ProArts, Gallery Oakland, CA
2000 Student Exhibition, (painting) University of California, Berkeley San Francisco, CA
Student Exhibition, (drawing) University of California, Berkeley San Francisco, CA
2017 Amze Emmons, Laser Printer: Laser Cutters and Traditional Print Media
2016 Karen Kunc Master Class // From Block to Book Honolulu, HI
Paul Mollowney, Chine Colle', Honolulu Printmakers Honolulu, HI
2015 Sonnenzimmer Workshop, Honolulu Printmakers Honolulu, HI
2013 “Things That Fly”, Honolulu Printmakers Honolulu, HI
2010 Art of Tea, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
2007 Crown Point Press – Summer Workshop, Etching, San Francisco, CA
Crown Point Press – Summer Workshop, Photogravure San Francisco, CA
Printmaking – Dry Point & Monotype, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
2005 Woodcut Printing in Reductive Process, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
Bamboo Weaving & Sculpture, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
2003 A Passion for the Figure, Figurative Sculpture Workshop Holualoa, HI
2000 “Fundamentals of Drawing, UC-Berkeley, San Francisco, CA
“Fundamentals of Painting II”, UC-Berkeley San Francisco, CA
“Provocative Figure Painting” San Francisco Art Institute San Francisco, CA
TEACHING & LECTURES:
2017 Linocut Magic, Honolulu Museum of Art School, Honolulu, HI
2016 The Art of Suicide Printing, Honolulu Museum of Art School, Honolulu, HI
2015 Contempo, Honolulu Printmakers, Relief Printing, Spalding House Honolulu, HI
HISAM First Friday, Honolulu Printmakers, Relief Workshop Honolulu, HI
2009 ING Direct/Reach Screen Printing Program for Children Honolulu, HI
2008 Instructor -Intro to Screen Printing, Donkey Mill Art Center Holualoa, HI
Fall Arts Festival, Keiki Screen Printing Workshop Holualoa, HI
Guest Speaker, Monterey Print Club, Monterey Peninsula College Monterey, CA
Volcano Art Center Volcanoes National Park, HI
Kohala Mountain Gallery Hawi, HI
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel Kohala, HI
Pacific Island Printmakers Big Island, Hawaii
California Society of Printmakers San Francisco, CA
Honolulu Printmakers Honolulu, HI
Holualoa Foundation for Art and Culture Holualoa, HI
1974 – 1978 University of Nevada, College of Arts & Science Reno, NV
1979 – 1981 San Francisco State University, Bachelor of Art/ Political Science San Francisco CA
1986 San Francisco State University, Graduate Studies San Francisco, CA
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES (University of Nevada):
Associated Student Body President, University of Nevada Reno, NV
College of Arts & Science Senator (2 years), University of Nevada Reno, NV
Student Representative to the Board of Regents, NV Univ. System
Founding member of Nevada State Student Alliance
Business manager Artemisia Student Annual, University of Nevada Reno, NV
Student Representative to the National Judicial College Reno, NV
University of Nevada Academic Presidential Search Committee Reno, NV
EXPANDED WORK AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE:
2003 – 2015 Artist/Owner, Studio Jomac Kailua-Kona, HI
Designed studio space with emphasis on painting & printmaking
2003 – 2015 Owner/Operator, Kona Sugar Shack, Coconut & Tiki Condos Kailua-Kona & Honolulu
1986 – 2003 President/Founder, Jomac Graphic Communications Inc Alameda, CA
· Solution oriented company that specialized in innovated ways to produce & implement 2 & 3D graphics programs for small & large advertising agencies & companies with combined sales of approximately $50,000,000 over 18 years.
· Coordinated the production of large format graphics utilizing traditional printing methods such as screen & lithography as well as hand painting & photography. Insured color fidelity on press & all aspects of distribution & fulfillment.
· Backed & promoted new technologies especially digital printing years before industry adoption.
· Ushered in binary printing working closely with companies such as Panasonic, Bowers Imaging, Computer Imaging Services, 3M, Metromedia Technologies, Vista and Vision Graphics & various other digital imaging companies.
· Developed an understanding of the most durable inks & materials used for commercial applications such as events graphics & large outdoor displays. Specialist in 3M Matched Component Systems for signage & corporate identity graphics. Guest of BASF inks & resin division for the DRUPA International Printing Exhibition in Dusseldorf, Germany (1995 & 2000). Attended workshop & tour of the BASF ink manufacturing plant in Stuttgart, Germany.
Projects of note:
· First company to produce & install large digital outdoor displays for 1988 Seoul Olympics (Nike).
· Produced large format events graphics for Superbowl, MLB & NBA Allstar Games & World Cup using digital printing technology and traditional methods (screen printing and hand painting).
· Digitally printed large format displays & murals for MacWorld (Moscone Center).
· Assisted in developing large format environmental graphics for new Nike Campus (Beaverton, OR). Worked with architects and engineers to determine optimum substrates and printing processes for longevity and wind loads. Graphics included large pathway banners, stairwell displays and mural that covered 3 sides of a 7 story parking structure.
· Produced world’s largest serigraphs for Levi Strauss Jeans for Women utilizing 20’ x 60’ screen printing press in Bologna, Italy. 3 Designs, 350 total printed in 3 solid colors created to look like Matisse paintings. Shipped & displayed in U.S.
· Worked closely with print production departments at ad agencies in developing & implementing regional & national outdoor & transit print campaigns. Agencies included Saatchi, J.Walter Thompson, McCann Erickson, Chiat Day, Marchfirst, Wieden & Kennedy, Foote Cone & Belding, Grey, Borders, Perrin & Norrander, etc.
· Clients included Apple Computer, Microsoft, Nike, Adidas, Columbia Sportswear, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Union Bank, Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Esprit, Macys, Bebe, Levi Strauss &Co., Safeway, Del Monte, Foster Farms, San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland A’s, Transamerica Tennis, KGO, KSFO, KYA, KCBS, KNBR, etc.
· Executed work for artist/designers such as Michael Vanderbyl & Michael Schwab - produced original serigraphs & digitally created exhibits & showroom backdrops.
· Oversaw the production and installation of pressure sensitive vinyl wraps for truck & vehicles for Levi Strauss & Safeway.
· Assisted in the development, printing & fulfillment of retail display work for Apple Computer, Microsoft, EA Sports & Sony.
1984 – 1986 Sales Manager, Bel Aire Displays Emeryville, CA
· Responsible for all aspects of sales & marketing.
Utilized understanding of graphic design, printing & materials to create a seamless flow of work from beginning to finished display.
Worked closely with management & production team in identifying areas of improvement including acquisition of new equipme
1983 – 1984 Account Executive, Identity Services, Penngrove, CA
· Trained with 3M in Minneapolis/St Paul - emphasis on printing substrates and 3M Matched Component Systems.
· Specialized in corporate identity graphics including store remodels, window graphics and various vehicle markings.
1981 – 1982 Account Executive, Foster & Kleiser Outdoor Advertising (Metromedia), Oakland, CA
· Youngest account executive at Northern California office for nation’s largest outdoor advertising company.
· Worked primarily with advertising agency media departments in planning media buys throughout the country with an emphasis on California.
· Provided customer service for Brown Forman, J. Walter Thompson, RJR, Schieffelin & Somerset Co., FCB, Saachti & Saachti, etc.
1980 – 1981 Account Executive, Trend Graphics, Mountain View, CA
· Worked closely with Apple Computer’s Corporate Identity Department in resolving technical concerns in screen printing original iconic multicolor Apple decal (over 1 million printed).
· Introduced to large format electrostatic printing used for microchip schematics
· Worked with clients, management & production team in all aspects of screen printing game top consul graphics for Atari.
1974 – 1980 Printer, Production Manager, Account Executive, Outdoor Posters Inc Reno, NV
· Initial introduction to large format screen printing using manual presses and racking system.
· Graduated to operating automatic screen printing presses & conveyer belt drying systems.
· Mastered large format, multicolor tiled, template layouts using art and photographic mechanicals.
· Gained proficiency at large format stencil cutting.
· Coordinated the entire print production process.
· Responsible for maintaining good client relationships by having a complete understanding of the company’s products & services.